Welcome to the WQED Careers information page! From time to time, we have full- or part-time job openings for new positions, for existing jobs that need to be filled. On such occasions, detailed announcements of all current openings are listed on WQED Careers.
We are neither seeking nor accepting candidate referrals from third-party recruiters.
WQED is a member of the Public Media Workforce Collaborative, a group of four similarly structured public media providers in Buffalo, Cleveland, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh working together to meet the needs of their rapidly evolving communities and to increase their financial sustainability by attracting, developing and retaining a more diverse and highly-skilled workforce and advancing their organizational cultures. With a focus on diversity, equity and inclusion in its work, the Collaborative is providing DEI-focused management training, engaging a cross-section of staff to address organizational policies and practices, and identifying new methods for attracting more diverse applicants to open job positions.
Diversity, Equity and Belonging is one of our core values, wherein we seek and incorporate the myriad diverse perspectives and lived experiences of our users, staff, board, and communities into all aspects of our work.
- WQED was founded in 1954 as the nation’s first community-supported broadcaster.
- We are headquartered in the Oakland, PA.
- WQED It is the parent company of WQED-TV (PBS); WQED: The Create Channel; Classical WQED-FM 89.3/Pittsburgh; WQEJ-FM 89.7/Johnstown; local and national television and radio productions; WQED Interactive (www.wqed.org); and The WQED Education Department.
- WQED Pittsburgh has been honored with the Mid-Atlantic Emmy® Award for Station Excellence in 2006, 2007, 2015, 2017, 2020 and 2021.
- We offer a rich benefits program that includes medical coverage, a 403(b) plan with an employer contribution, paid time off, hybrid work schedules and much more.
- Staff interests and outside-of-work hobbies include playing in bands, painting, photography, traveling, baking, gardening, stand-up comedy and many more.
We strive to improve diversity, equity and inclusion across our organization. Some of our efforts include:
- Working with Buffalo Toronto Public Media, Detroit Public Television, and Ideastream Public Media in Cleveland on the Public Media Workforce Collaborative to provide DEI-centered management training, develop new methods to engage all staff on programs, policies and practices and attract more diverse candidates to our open positions.
- Diversifying the sources we use in our stories and auditing our work to make sure we’re improving those efforts continuously.
- Providing internship opportunities for personal and professional development to those looking to enter the workforce or make changes in their career.