The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) was founded in 1950. It is a not-for-profit educational and service organization (501c3) with 40,000+ members in over 80 countries.
Locally, SWE Pittsburgh has over 200 members across several different engineering disciplines and companies in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
SWE’s Mission is to:
- Empower women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders,
- Expand the image of the engineering and technology professions as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and
- Demonstrate the value of diversity and inclusion.
SWE’s Vision is: “A world with gender parity and equality in engineering and technology.”
SWE continually strives to establish engineering as a highly desirable career aspiration for young girls and women. We do that by:
- Informing young women, their parents, and counselors of the opportunities open to young women in engineering;
- Serving as role models and as a center of information on women in engineering; and
- Encouraging girls and young women to attain high levels of educational and professional achievement in STEM.
SWE Pittsburgh members volunteer at STEM Outreach events at schools, festivals, and other STEM organizations (like the science center). We can give talks to students or parents, host activity tables, mentor students, review high school resumes, and provide information on engineering careers.