Rick Sebak’s Blog header image 2

WQED TV producer and PITTSBURGH Magazine back-page writer writes about his current work and assorted other things.

Wow. I’m sort of a cartoon character!

July 13th, 2010 · 6 Comments

A wonderful and funny surprise! I’m animated! I’m like a puppet! I like it!

So I was a little wary at first, but recently we’ve been partnering with KINGS restaurants around Pittsburgh here to promote my PBS program and to advertise some new breakfast items at their restaurants.  And there’s this new, superbly silly animated spot airing on our local commercial TV stations that lets me push my show and then lets Hartley King introduce some of the new dishes.   It’s a work of art.

Actually a lot of people have worked on this new partnership, and I think it could be a model for future linkings of local businesses with public TV.

WQED Account Executive Lance Jones in our Broadcasting Sales & Underwriting Department worked with Tracey Roman at Smith Brothers Agency on the North Shore, and they pulled in the rest of us as needed.  All I did was go and get my picture taken and then record my voice in our tiny announcer’s booth booth here on the ground floor of WQED.

Craig Seder was the Associate Creative Director at Smith Brothers, and bravo to him! I’m not sure who first came up with the “bounciful” style of the cut-out animation since it has been used in KINGS commercials for a while now, but I’m just laughing at finding myself in that world.

Thanks to everybody involved.

Tags: "Breakfast Special"

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sue // Jul 14, 2010 at 11:15 am

I’m so glad i tuned in to WDVE this morning while walking. I’m psyched for your Breakfast Special tonite!! I know it’ll be scrumptious! Just like Jim Krenn, I’m getting my frying pan ready!

• 2 Robin Smith // Jul 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Good show tonight on PBS. Breakfast Recipes. Good work! I have a b & b in Houston, Texas — Robin’s Nest. Breakfast is a special time for us as well. Can anyone share the salmon (Alaska, I think) recipe with me? I got distracted at the critical moment. Thanks again, Robin

• 3 Rick // Jul 15, 2010 at 3:39 pm

ROBIN: I didn’t collect any recipes, but Alex Helser is very approachable, and it was his salmon hash that we showed. He’s the owner of Helser’s on Alberta in Portland, Oregon. Look up their website. Wrote him a note, I’m guessing he’ll share. How much of a threat could you be in Houston?

• 4 Rick // Jul 15, 2010 at 3:44 pm

SUE I’m glad you heard our chat on WDVE too. I owe those guys a lot. I don’t know how many morning DJs across the country encourage their listeners to tune in for documentaries on PBS, but I’m glad Jim and Randy do. They make it cool to watch PBS.

• 5 Jackie // Jul 16, 2010 at 9:44 am

Early this morning, I watched your new breakfast documentary on Chicago PBS station: WTTW. Wow! Enjoyed the mass – production buckwheat pancakes…how fun! In suburban Wilmette, there is a place called “Walker Bros.” , who are famous for their HUGE apple pancakes baked in the oven. Thanks again, Rick!

• 6 Kris // Apr 25, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Just found this – Thanks for the comments on the animation!