Rick Sebak’s Blog header image 2

WQED TV producer and PITTSBURGH Magazine back-page writer writes about his current work and assorted other things.

Fresh buckwheat video (with homemade maple syrup)

March 5th, 2010 · 8 Comments

MapleTreebuilding

It’s Friday, March 5, and we’re in Allegany County (that’s how they spell it in south central New York state.)  We spend the day at a rural restaurant called Cartwright’s Maple Tree Inn.  Incredible.  At a relatively slow moment in mid-afternoon, Ryan Krumm tapes me doing a quick “stand-up” in the kitchen, and tonight before dinner, Glenn Syska edits it together.  After dinner, we finally figure out a way to get it up on YouTube, and it’s hot off the griddle!  Watch!

Tags: "Breakfast Special"

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 James Orlowski // Mar 7, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Seems like most of your food-based shows are always shot in the Winter.

• 2 Richard // Mar 9, 2010 at 8:05 am

I was there the day they were filming and some thing you should know about Cartwright’s Maple Tree Inn is that it is only open for ~two months in early spring time because all the syrup is made right there in the building. That’s right! Fresh maple syrup. Bought some that will still hot from the evaporator to take home and enjoy too!

• 3 Dan Feller // Mar 10, 2010 at 9:13 am

I was there with my wife: Diana, and my neighbors: Diane and Mike on Saturday around noon Mar. 6, 2010. I spoke to you Rick and you had never heard about the great taste of a “Maple Milkshake” and of course you must follow up your breakfast with a slice of homemade raspberry pie. I had a great time that day as I drive down here to this breakfast spot often.

• 4 Daniel // Mar 11, 2010 at 8:17 am

When will this Breakfast Special be seen on your
    program?

• 5 Rick // Mar 11, 2010 at 11:13 pm

DANIEL This BREAKFAST SPECIAL doesn’t have an air date yet. I expect that it will be on PBS sometime this summer, most likely in July. We’ll surely post the premiere date here on the blog and on our website as soon as we know it. Thanks for asking.

• 6 Don & Karen Ash // Mar 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Rick and Co.: What a delight it was to serve you at the Angelica Sweet Shop, only to learn as you were leaving that you were the PBS crew that had filmed at Cartwrights earlier in the day. We so appreciate your glowing compliments on the specialty maple pies we bake for Cartwrights pancake house, and the maple shake you shared at our shop, made with our homemade Maple Walnut ice cream. Maple rules! Can’t wait to see the special this summer.

• 7 Rick Sebak’s Blog » Buckwheat pancakes all you can eat. // Apr 7, 2010 at 10:40 am

[…] were there on the first weekend in March, and they weren’t making maple syrup in the basement yet, but we’re sure they’re […]

• 8 maplecream // Mar 14, 2011 at 8:17 pm

maple rules on all fronts! :)