WQED TO AIR A VARIETY OF IRISH PROGRAMS THROUGHOUT MARCH
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
February 28, 2011
WQED TO AIR A VARIETY OF IRISH PROGRAMS
PITTSBURGH—This March WQED will offer viewers a chance to watch five new and exciting Irish themed programs. Enjoy the opportunity to experience all that Ireland has to offer with Orla Fallon’s My Land; Around the World in 80 Recipes; Celtic Thunder: Heritage; Visions of Ireland; and When Irish Eyes are Smiling: An Irish Parade of Stars (My Music).
• Orla Fallon’s My Land- Watch beloved harpist, Orla Fallon make her solo debut with a celebration of the music, culture and landscape of the Emerald Isle, in addition to a personal tour of her homeland. This program premieres Sunday, March 6th at 9:00 a.m., and will re-air Monday, March 7th at noon on WQED-TV.
• Around the World in 80 Recipes – This three-hour cooking marathon, premiering Saturday, March 5th at 1:00 p.m. on WQED-TV, features the most well-known recipes from Ireland and around the globe.
• Celtic Thunder: Heritage - This all–new Celtic Thunder special focuses entirely on the group’s Celtic and Irish roots as they bring their musical talent and passion to solo numbers, enchanting duets and powerful ensemble numbers. The program premieres Sunday, March 6th at 2:00 p.m. Encore broadcasts on WQED-TV will air Tuesday, March 8th at 1:30 p.m., Monday, March 14th at 8:00 p.m. and Thursday, March 17th at 1:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on WQED-TV.
• Visions of Ireland - Discover the land of saints and scholars like never before as a helicopter-mounted camera shares the vantage point of the Irish faeries of ancient lore. With serene aerial views of fog and mist above the remote Skellig Islands, and the magnificent windswept Cliffs of Moher, Visions of Ireland is a virtual spectacular. This program premieres Saturday, March 12th at 5:00 p.m. and will re-air Thursday, March 17th at noon on WQED-TV.
• When Irish Eyes are Smiling: An Irish Parade of Stars (My Music) - This archival program focuses on Ireland’s most beloved ballads and folk songs, performed by some of the world’s greatest vocalists. Narrated by Pulitzer-prize winning author Malachy McCourt, traditional favorites like “Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ra (An Irish Lullaby)”; “Molly Malone”; “McNamara’s Band”; “It’s A Long Way To Tipperary”; “Danny Boy”; and “When Irish Eyes Are Smiling.” Emerald Isle-influenced classics such as “Look to the Rainbow”; “The Unicorn” and “A Great Day For The Irish” make this program a complete celebration of Irish musical tradition. This special premieres Thursday, March 17th at 8:00 p.m. on WQED-TV.
WQED Pittsburgh, honored with the 2007 and 2006 Mid-Atlantic Emmy® Award for Station Excellence, was founded in 1954 as the nation’s first community-supported broadcaster. The people of WQED create, produce and distribute quality programs, products and services to engage, inform, educate and entertain the public within their community and around the world. WQED Pittsburgh is one of the first broadcasters in the country to be fully high-definition (HD) in its studio and field production capabilities. It is the parent company of WQED-TV (PBS); WQED: The Neighborhood Channel; WQED: The Create Channel; WQEX-TV (A ShopNBC affiliate); Classical WQED-FM 89.3/Pittsburgh; Classical WQEJ-FM 89.7/Johnstown; local and national television and radio productions; WQED Interactive (www.wqed.org); and The WQED Education Department.