MUSICAL KIDS GUIDELINES
No contribution or purchase is necessary. Membership in WQED is not a requirement to enter the Musical Kids
contest (the "Contest"):
- Print and complete the entry form.
- Read and sign the parental consent form.
- Mail the entry form, parental consent form and a CD containing the performance to WQED (the "Contest
Sponsor") to the address on the form. Each entry will receive an electronic confirmation that the entry was received.
The entry (the "Submission") will be deemed to be submitted when WQED receives both the completed form and the performance.
Incomplete entries or entries submitted by other means will not be considered. Submissions must be postmarked or otherwise received
between 9 a.m. ET on January 7, 2013 and 9:00 a.m. ET on February 22, 2013 (the "Submission Period").
WQED has sole responsibility for determining if an entry has been successfully submitted. Any Submission that is not in compliance with these Official Rules may be disqualified, at the sole discretion of WQED. Void where prohibited by law.
ENTRANT ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible to enter the Contest, a youth musical artist must be able to meet all of the following eligibility requirements on January 14, 2013:
- Entrant must enter in one of the following categories:
- a. Instrumental soloist (with or without accompanist*) performing Classical Music.
- b. Vocal soloist (with or without accompanist*) performing Classical Music.
* See #4 below for additional requirements regarding the use of an accompanist.
Entrant must be in 6th, 7th or 8th grade.
Entrant must be a Pennsylvania resident and have a Pennsylvania legal residency address.
Accompanist, if any, may be of any age. The accompanist's performance will not be considered in the evaluation of the Entry.
This Contest is for youth who are not professional musicians. Entrant will not be disqualified if the Entrant has accepted a modest stipend, payment, or honorarium for performances (e.g., paid church musician, paid accompanist). However, an Entrant may not be represented under a talent contract (e.g., by a talent agent or manager), b) may not have a merchandising agreement, c) may not have a signed contract with a record label, d) may not have any contract that would limit or impair any of WQED's ability to use the Submission, e) may not have any contract that would make an Entrant's appearance in the Submission a violation of any third party right(s), and/or f) may not have any other contractual relationship (e.g., guild or union memberships) that may prohibit the Entrant or any Entrant Member from participating fully in this Contest, or from allowing WQED to use, on a residual-free and royalty-free basis, the Submission worldwide (subject to all local laws and regulations) in all media in perpetuity.
The Entrant, their immediate family, or persons living in the same household are or were not employees of WQED Multi Media and have not been employees of WQED after April 1, 2011.
Any Entrant a) that does not meet all eligibility requirements, or b) that exhibits behavior that is illegal, unethical, inconsistent with good citizenship, or is otherwise inappropriate may be disqualified at any time, at the sole discretion of WQED.
** For purposes of this Contest, Classical Music means any music in the tradition of Western sacred and secular music from the 11th century to present times, and is not limited to music from the Classical Period from about 1750 to 1820 (only).
To be considered for the Contest, a Submission must meet all of the following requirements:
- The submission must be made by an Entrant who meets all eligibility requirements.
- Submissions must be of an unedited performance by an Entrant.
- The Submission must be of a musical work in the style of classical music. WQED reserves the right to determine whether the musical works are within the scope of the required musical style.
- The entire Submission, including the musical performance, may be up to ten minutes in length. If a submission is longer than ten minutes, then only the first ten minutes will be considered.
- Submissions should be in audio format. If a Submission contains video, then only the audio portions of any video submission will be considered by WQED.
- Submissions may not contain content that violates any third-party rights or that WQED, in its sole discretion, deems inappropriate.
Any Submission that does not meet all Submission Requirements may be disqualified at any time, at the sole discretion of WQED.
SPONSORS RESERVATION OF RIGHTS
WQED reserves the right to modify these Official Rules (e.g., add rules or to clarify any or all of the rules) at any time during the Contest. Any such additions or clarifications will be posted with these rules; WQED has no further obligation to publicize such additions or clarifications. Likewise, WQED reserves the right to make exceptions to the Rules in its sole discretion and without further obligation to other Entrants.
By entering the Contest, all Entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to WQED and its related companies to reproduce, distribute, and display the Submission in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, including, but not limited to terrestrial broadcasts, web, and any other platform now known or later developed, and 2) in any other noncommercial use in any media now or hereafter known. WQED will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use. Subject to receiving a signed copy of WQED's parent/legal guardian consent form (see below), WQED or its related organizations may use name and likeness of the Entrant for advertising, fundraising, promotional or publicity purposes without further compensation.
Selection will be made according to the following process, or as otherwise determined by WQED:
- All eligible Submissions will be made available to the public via terrestrial radio broadcast, web posting, or any other platform(s) selected in the sole discretion of WQED.
- WQED will select a panel of judges ("First Round Judges") to review all eligible Submissions. The First Round Judges will select a pool of not less than 12 Submissions from Entrants (each, a "Finalist"). The decision will be based on a review of all eligible Submissions, and will be made using selection criteria determined in the sole discretion of WQED and the First Round Judges.
- On or before March 11, 2013, WQED will notify each Finalist using the contact information provided with the Submission. If a Featured Artist cannot be reached within 72 hours or is otherwise disqualified, then SPONSOR will go to the first alternate and subsequent alternates. If selected as a Finalist (see below), then Entrant must provide a) a signed copy of WQED's parent/legal guardian consent form. The Entrant will be disqualified if WQED does not receive the consent form within seven (7) calendar days of notification. Before making any public announcement, WQED will confirm that the proposed Finalists continue to meet all Eligibility Requirements.
- Beginning March 11, 2013, WQED will meet with Finalists to prepare video recordings of their performance.
- The WQED-prepared recordings of the Finalists' performances will be posted in an online gallery for public voting through April 10, 2013. Members of the public may vote on the performances, and may cast one vote per email address. Subsequent votes from the same email address will be disqualified.
- On April 11, 2013, WQED will tabulate all public votes cast for each Finalist, and the Finalist with the most votes will become one of six "Showcase Artists". The other Showcase Artists, as well as alternates, will be selected by a panel of judges selected by WQED ("Final Round Judges"). The decision will be based on a review of all eligible Submissions, and will be made using selection criteria determined in the sole discretion of WQED and the Final Round Judges.
- On or before April 11, 2013, WQED will notify each Showcase Artist. Before making any public announcement, WQED will confirm that the proposed Showcase Artist continues to meet all Eligibility Requirements.
- WQED will announce the names of the Showcase Artists on April 12, 2013.
- Showcase Artists will perform live on WQED-FM on May 3, 2013 at 7pm.
Each Entrant is responsible for any and all other expenses associated with participating in the Contest. For Entrants selected as Showcase Artists, this includes any and all expenses associated with participating in the May 3, 2013 performance at WQED, including but not limited to meals, transportation, and/or lodging.
Each of the five Showcase Artists will receive the following:
- Presentation of a winner’s plaque at their school.
- One free recording (on CD) of the WQED-prepared recording of their performance (retail value: approximately $300)
- Participation in live radio program.
- A pair of tickets to a Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra concert.
Total prize package retail value: approximately $500.00
Prize is nontransferable. Showcase Artists will receive notification via the delivery service selected by WQED.
SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS
Every eligible entry will be considered. In its sole discretion, WQED will select
- no less than (12) and no more than fifteen (15) Finalists, and
- six (6) Showcase Artists and one (1) or more alternate Showcase Artist(s).
Finalists and Showcase Artists will be notified by telephone, certified mail or email using the contact information provided during the submission process.
If WQED is unable to reach a Showcase Artist within 48 hours or if a Finalist or Showcase Artist is otherwise disqualified, then WQED will go to the first alternate and subsequent alternates. The rules detailing Contest eligibility and method of selecting Featured Artists and Showcase Artists are on file at WQED.
The Entrant acknowledges that by entering the Contest, the Entrant agrees a) that no form of cheating will be tolerated, b) that the performance may not be edited prior to submission, and c) that the Entrant and the Submission meet all Official Rules. Any persons found cheating or otherwise violating the Official Rules, as determined in the sole discretion of WQED, will be immediately disqualified from the Contest.
Further, by participating in this Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and agree that WQED and its related organizations, their agents and employees have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind which result from use of the prize, or by participation in the contest. WQED or its related organizations may use winner's name and likeness for advertising, fundraising, promotional or publicity purposes without further compensation. Taxes and expenses as a result of winning this prize are the responsibility of the winner.