Due to a bug in Netscape 4.x for Macintosh, the pop-up windows on the North Side Map do not function properly. Please use this list as your key to the map or use Microsoft Internet Explorer to view the map. We are sorry for this inconvenience.
1. Allegheny County Sanitary Authority (Alcosan), 330 Preble Ave. It all ends up here--just ask Frankie the fish, the Alcosan mascot. But dont take his word for it, see yourself. Call 734-8353 for a tour.
2. State Correctional Institution at Pittsburgh, Doerr Street. They check in but they dont check out (at least not for a while) at the biggest house on the North Side, a hulking stone Victorian fortress on the banks of the Ohio.
3. Wilksboro Avenue Footbridge. The oldest, longest and highest pedestrian-only span in the city--and probably far beyond. Great scenic views, especially in autumn.
4. Allegheny Country Club site: Brighton, Benton and California avenues. Brighton Heights was the Sewickley Heights of its day--dont miss the former Walker mansion, "Bonnie Blink," 1907 Morrell St. Here, Allegheny Citys elite spent idle hours on one of Americas first golf courses. In 1902, the club and its tony name moved to Sewickley Heights.
5. War World I Memorial, Legion Park, Davis Road and Shadeland Avenue. This beautiful, enigmatic granite sculpture by Allen G. Newman commemorates the contributions of 27th Ward citizens in "the war to end all wars."
6. Blessed Nunzio Sulprizio Shrine, 1038 Stanford Road. A labor of love created by the late Delfina Del Russo Cesarespada, who claimed to be brought back from death through Blessed Nunzios intercession, the site is maintained by her husband and son, who continue to work toward his canonization.
7. Allegheny Observatory, Riverview Avenue, Riverview Park. Speaking of heavens, this neo-classical jewel is a must-see from top (with its three telescopes) to bottom, where a crypt contains the ashes of pioneer lens-wizard John Brashear and his wife, Phoebe (for tours: 321-2400). In the park you can picnic in the bear pit, a remnant of the Allegheny Park Zoo.
8. Scanlon Observatory, 200 W. Sandle St. this tiny home-made creation by Leo Scanlon is the only aluminum-domed observatory; visitors included Albert Einstein before the facility was relocated to Wagman Observatory in Deer Lakes Park.
9. St. Boniface Catholic Church, 2208 East St. This domed Jazz Age-Byzantine landmark, snatched from the wreckers ball, is one of the last places on Earth where the ancient Tridentine Latin Mass is celebrated.
10. Troy Hill. Sprechen Sie Deutsch? You could be asked in this ethnic aerie, whose notable sites include St. Anthonys Chapel, a treasure trove with thousands of relics, and the Allegheny County Firefighters memorial.
11. Penn Brewery. Where the Penn Pilsner flows. The erstwhile Eberhardt and Ober Brewery of Allegheny City days was be born in the 1980s through the efforts of Tom and Mary Beth Pastorius. Prosit!
12. Teutonia Mannerdhor, 857 Phineas St. Located in Deutschtown, one of the last German singing societies, a relic of the once-proud and thriving Teutonic presence here, significantly dimmed by two World Wars.
13. Heathside Cottage, 416 Cantowa St. This Victorian gem is cute as the Dickens--Charles that is. Watch out: elves and trolls have the right-of-way.
14. Allegheny General Hospital, 320 E. North Ave. Founded in 1885 to serve Allegheny City, AHG now is a statewide academic health center and the largest employer on the North Side. The handsome, art-deco York and Sawyer tower, dedicated in 1936, is probably the North Sides most visually prominent and distinguished landmark.
15. Church of the New Jerusalem, Sandusky and Parkhurst streets. The second sanctuary built in Allegheny by the obscure Swedenborgian sect, whose congregation once included the Carnegie and Pitcairn families. The church and parsonage now house the AGH communications department.
16. Keith Harings home, 1900 block, Perrysville Avenue. An artist and Warhol pal who burned fast and bright in the 80s and is remembered today for his simple but frenetic style, Haring (1958-1990) lived here in the 1970s while attending the Ivy School of Art (Triangle Tech today).
17. Garden Theatre, North Avenue. A former nickelodeon, this terracotta landmark boasts a wild and wonderful assortment of historic neon signage. Its likely to be restored and recycled into a performing arts center.
18. Mexican War Streets. You need neither sombrero nor salsa to enjoy this architecturally rich grid of mainly Victorian row houses set on streets named for people and places in the Mexican-American War.
19. Mattress Factory, 500 Sampsonia Way. There are no springs attached to seeing some of the coolest, weirdest and avant-gardest creations at this international renowned art center and museum.
20. Wilsons Bar-B-Q, 700 Taylor Ave. Hungry carnivores have been taking a ribbing at this family-run business since Franklin Roosevelt was president.
21. Martha Grahams birthplace. The mother of modern dance, the revolutionary dancer and choreographer (1896-1991) was born and lived in several homes (#1531, #1534) on what was Fremont Street, todays Brighton Place. Her father, George, also had his office here: He was an alienist. We call them "shrinks" today.
22. Brighton Theater, Brighton Place and California Avenue. A terra-cotta confection with Greek masks and elephants heads with long trunks and tusks on the upper corners makes a delightful architectural allusion to the Prince Regents Palace in the English seaside resort of Brighton. Its owned by the Postal Workers Union today.
23. Breadworks, 2110 Brighton Road. Dough, re, mi: If the smell of fresh-baked bread is like olfactory music, find myriad varieties for a song.
24. Union Dale Cemetery, Brighton Road and Marshall Avenue. Many Old Allegheny families, including the Buhls, are buried here along with people like the Illinois Giant Boy, who died while appearing at the Sixth Street Museum. He required eight men to carry his coffin to its last resting place. And dont miss the mausoleum to G. E. "Pittsburgh Phil" Smith, a gambler whose sculpture, racing forms clutched in his right hand, crowns the monument.
25. Manchester Craftsmens Guild, 1815 Metropolitan St. Theres much more than the name implies. This multicultural, multi-dimensional complex offers classes, studios and exhibitions of painting, ceramics and photography, not to mention its renowned jazz concerts.
26. Anderson Manor, 1423 Liverpool St. Recycled into a home for senior citizens, this columned, antebellum mansion was built by Col. James Anderson. He opened his library to working boys, including a young Andy Carnegie, who later opened a library or two himself. In the 1300 block of this street is one of Americas best collection of Second Empire row houses.
27. Last Mayor of Alleghenys home, 1317 Allegheny Ave. Fittingly, like Allegheny City, its gone. Upon Alleghenys forced annexation by Pittsburgh. Ironically, Pittsburgh Mayor Murphy lives nearby, up on Perrysvile Avenue.
28. Emmanuel Episcopal Church, North Ave. The "bake-oven church" (nicknamed for its shape) was designed by the famous Henry Hobson Richardson. The lavish marble altar was donated by the Thaw family, whose infamous scion Harry K. is commemorated with a plaque at the former family home nearby at 954 N. Lincoln Ave.
29. Calvary Methodist church, 971 Beech Ave. If shed visited North Side, Holly Golightly would have had breakfast at this Gothic jewel--resplendent with some of Americas greatest Tiffany windows.
30. Beech Street. If you want to get an idea of what Allegheny City must have been like in its prime, stroll this tree-lined street, which boasts author Gertrude Steins birthplace (#850) and a house of mystery novelist Mary Roberts Rinehart once called home (#954).
31. Kilbucks Grave, 1212 Western Ave. Beneath a marble slab under a mulberry tree in the backyard of the vanished Robert McKnight mansion was buried the Indian Chief Kilbuck. Some say his ghost can still be glimpsed roaming the area on clear, moonlit nights.
32. Valley of Decision. The house that once stood at 1203 Western Ave. was the one in which Marcia Davenport decided to locate the Scott family of her novel. In real life, it was the home of coal millionaire Joseph Walton, whose grandson John Walton Jr. married Rachel Mellon.
33. Café Victoria, 946 Western Ave.; Victoria House B&B, 939 Western Ave. These upper-middle-class homes provide a peek at the kind of Victorian splendor once found in abundance in Old Allegheny.
34. Allegheny West. On streets like Ridge, Brighton, Lincoln and Western, families with names like Jones, Byers, Snyder and Oliver built mansions in what was briefly one of the richest enclaves on earth.
35. Gus & Yiayias icee ball stand. I cee, you cee, we all cee an icee ball at this cute little snack cart in shady, grassy West Park. Gus Kalaris has been serving trats here "since Your Dad Was a Lad." While strolling the park, check out the monuments to the Civil and Spanish-American wars.
36. National Aviary, West Commons. For the bird brains and those who love them, the nations only independent avian zoo, with more than 400 birds representing 225 species from all over the world. Psst: Its also a secret love nest for endangered avian species.
37. St. Peters Catholic Church, West Ohio and Arch streets. It was once the cathedral for the now-suppressed Diocese of Allegheny. But theres still a titular bishop today: the Most. Rev. Patrick McGrath, whose day job is auxiliary bishop of San Francisco, where he resides. Among St. Petes more notable parishioners are members of the Rooney family of Steelers fame.
38. Mercy-Providence Hospital, Montgomery Place and Arch Street. Built as Presbyterian Hospital in 1903. Hear a retired nurse spin spicy tales on Rick Sebaks show from "the good old days" that could give "General Hospital" a run for its money.
39. Hartzell Memorial Fountain, North Commons. Dedicated in 1910 "To Man, Beast and Bird," this delightful form-follows-function granite design provided separate facilities for all three. It was given by James E. Hartzell in memory of his wife, Anna, a founder of the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society
40. Pittsburgh Childrens Museum, Allegheny Square. The old Allegheny City Post Office is a building fit for a king--King Friday XIII, that is, and other friends from "Mister Rogers Neighborhood"--just a few of the attractions at this kid-friendly landmark built in 1897 and rededicated as a museum in 1983.
41. Buhl Planetarium, Allegheny Square. Once a destination for generations of school kids, this handsome Ingham, Pratt & Boyd landmark of 1939, now seeking a new use, recalls the memory of Henry and Louise Buhl of Boggs & Buhl department store fame.
41. Carnegie Library. Allegheny Branch, Allegheny Square. "Allegheny was my first love," said Andrew Carnegie, who presented his first library and music hall to his old hometown in 1889. A monument to Col. James Anderson, Andys inspiration, faces the librarys main entrance.
42. Allegheny Center. This complex replaced most of the heart of Old Allegheny--including the former Boggs & Buhl and the Market House (a historic plaque commemorates its passing and issues a warning)--in the 1960s.
43. Lincoln Stepped Here. A plaque marks the historic ground where Abraham Lincoln disembarked from his train for a local visit. A post office sits where two previous Allegheny railroad stations once stood.
44. East Ohio Street. Here comes the bridal shop, Carlisles, Americas oldest, founded in 188 and still wedded to the fabric of North Sides "Main Street." Also find a genuine Pittsburgh pawnshop (#409), an assortment of pubs and eateries, and Photo Antiquities (#531), a museum that explores the history of photography.
45. James Street Restaurant and Jazz Club, 422 Foreland St. The nightspot prides itself for providing "a taste of New Orleans on the North Side." Serves as home to the Pittsburgh Banjo Club.
46. The Prior and Grand Hall, 614 Pressley St. The former home for Benedictine monks is now an urban inn. The adjoining church, the former St. Marys one of North Sides oldest, has become a soaring space for banquets and special events.
47. H. J. Heinz plant, Progress and Chestnut streets. Ketchup on this ensemble of industrial architecture and dont miss the big sign on the Heinz Auditorium, with the neon ketchup bottle that pours sooo slooow.
48. Pittsburgh Wool Co., 1230 River Ave. The silence of the lambs is broken by exploring this more-than-century old survivor from Pittsburghs once-thriving wool and tanning industry, which once rivaled iron and steel.
49. Washingtons Landing. Some Renuzit has been applied to formerly stinky Herrs Island, reinvented as an Allegheny River atoll for homes, bike paths, businesses, a rowing club and a restaurant, Trolls.
50. Andy Warhol Museum, 117 Sandusky St. Americas largest museum devoted to a single artist: a Burgh boy who found success and came home after he died in 1987. Andy was laid out at Junsaks Funeral Home in Brighton Heights, and his funeral was celebrated at Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic Church in Marshall-Shadeland.
51. Allegheny Landing Park. Cover your eyes, Gladys! The naked people frolicking on sculptor Ned Smyths duo-sculptures, "Piazzo Lavoro" and "Mythic Source," are a shocker for some experiencing this 80s addition to the North Side, opening up the long-forgotten riverfront as a prominent feature of North Shore Center. Several other sculptures add (more chaste) visual interest to the parklet.
52. Mary Cassatts birthplace. Her father, Robert, was a mayor of Allegheny City and her brother, Alexander, became a president of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The only woman counted among the French Impressionists, Cassatt spent most of her life in France, where she died in 1926. The family house and most of the street (Rebecca, later renamed Reedsdale) have vanished, but her paintings hang in museums from the Louvre in Paris to The Carnegie in Pittsburgh.
53. Clark Bar sign, 503 Martindale St. A siren for sweet tooths, this landmark has been beckoning the sugar-fixated with its neon razzmatazz since 1958, and the building beneath now houses a popular sports bar.
54. Three Rivers Stadium, North Shore. The Big Bowl, site of Francos Immaculate Reception, is just the latest in a veritable tumulus of local sports history, previously serving as the site for Exposition park and before that, Recreation Park--maybe more to come.
55. Hornes Stables. A reminder of horse-and-buggy days as well as a vanished downtown department store. Its founder, Joseph Horne, lived at 838 N. Lincoln Ave., a Longfellow, Alden & Harlow-designed townhouse still extant. The stables serve today as offices for Carnegie Science Center.
56. Carnegie Science Center. Yes, Virginia, theres still a Buhl Planetarium--its now in this complex, opened in 1991, and featuring an Omnimax Theater, hands-on exhibits and another beloved heirloom from the old place: the miniature railroad and village.