Apr 26 2015
This morning there were eight of us on the Schenley Park outing: Linda, Larry, Michelle, Rose, Jen, Marianne and Dave. (Dave missed the photo opportunity & I’m behind the camera.)
At the Visitors Center we saw Virginia bluebells and redbud blooming. In the creek valley we found miterwort, yellow trout lilies and large-flowered trillium. We did see purple deadnettle, as promised. 😉
In addition to the usual residents we saw these Best Birds and bird behavior:
- First of the year gray catbird
- First of the year yellow warbler — heard but not seen.
- A pair of courting Carolina chickadees
- A pair of house wrens, courting and trying out the cubbyholes on the cliff
- Northern rough-winged swallows at Panther Hollow Lake
- An American robin on her nest
- Beautiful American goldfinches in breeding plumage and singing
A good time was had by all.
Watch for my next outing on the last Sunday in May — May 31.
(photo by Kate St. John)