Mar 10 2014

First Egg At Gulf Tower — Since 2011

Published by at 7:05 am under Peregrines

Dori with first egg, 10 March 2014 (photo from the National Aviary falconcam at Gulf Tower)

A week ago, on March 3, I began to lose faith that the Downtown Pittsburgh peregrines were going to nest at the Gulf Tower this year.

Peregrines had nested there for 21 years (1991 – 2011) but they abandoned the site in 2012 during installation of the new rooftop lighting scheme and chose a nook at the back of a building on Fourth Avenue.  We feared this new site was permanent because they nested there in 2012 and 2013.

The Fourth Avenue site was fraught with difficulties.  Only 12 floors up, it was bad for peregrine fledglings because they had little room for gaining altitude during their first day of flight.  Three of last year’s four fledglings had to be rescued from the ground.  It was also bad for observers because we had no camera on the nest, the street below was an unpleasant place to wait and watch, and the nook was inaccessible for banding.

We had high hopes that the peregrines would return to the Gulf Tower when they spent many days courting there in February, but on March 2 they abruptly changed gears and began focusing their attention at Fourth Avenue.  Oh no!  For a week they were never in the Gulf Tower motion detection snapshots.  I stopped by Fourth Avenue yesterday and found a peregrine perched at the old nook opening.  Oh no!  It looked like they were about to choose Fourth Avenue again.

This morning I checked the Gulf Tower camera to make sure it was on daylight savings time and behold, Dori was at the nest with an egg!!

I was so surprised I could barely believe my eyes!

First egg at the Gulf Tower in 2 years! 10 March 20114 (photo from the Nartional Aviary falconcam at Gulf Tower)

Just to be sure, I captured several snapshots including Louie’s first visit before dawn.

Louie and Dori, first egg at Gulf, 10 March 2014 (photo from the National Aviary falconcam at Gulf Tower)

Louie and Dori with first egg, Gulf Tower 10 March 2014 (photo from the National Aviary falconcam at Gulf Tower)

Dori has come home!!

Dori inspects her firstegg atGulf Tower, 10 March 2014 (photo from the National Aviary falconcam at Gulf Tower)

Join the fun.  Watch the Gulf Tower nest here.

(photos from the National Aviary falconcam at the Gulf Tower)

p.s. Thanks to Gulf Tower management for making this site so attractive to our downtown peregrines.

15 Responses to “First Egg At Gulf Tower — Since 2011”

1. Jennieon 10 Mar 2014 at 8:58 am

What wonderful news!

2. Patsyon 10 Mar 2014 at 9:04 am

What great news. Can’t wait to watch this year.

3. Sharon Leadbitteron 10 Mar 2014 at 9:12 am

WOOO HOOO!!!!! I wish I could get back into the USX tower to take pictures

4. Donnaon 10 Mar 2014 at 9:15 am

A great way to start the week. Now it’s Dorothy’s turn ;)

5. Bob Mulvihillon 10 Mar 2014 at 10:06 am

Geez, now I wish we had a nice new hi-definition camera on the Gulf nest, too!

A project for next year maybe! :)

6. Gigion 10 Mar 2014 at 10:38 am

Wonderful news!

7. Mary Ann Pikeon 10 Mar 2014 at 12:05 pm

Just wanted to ask if there is a snapshot cam at the Gulf Tower…I can’t stream video at work and the only way I can watch the nests during the day is with the snapshot cam.

Good to see them back at Gulf Tower. (Unless Louie has been taking advice from the male peregrine in Rochester NY and has another girlfriend at the Fourth Ave. site, so there would be 2 nests in the area….probably too close for that, though)

Mary Ann

8. Kate St. Johnon 10 Mar 2014 at 1:08 pm

Mary Ann, try this link: http://www.wqed.org/birdblog_slideshows/dntnpp.html
    I have also put it in the list of Resources on the left panel of my blog.

9. Mary Ann Pikeon 10 Mar 2014 at 1:53 pm

That works…the picture is a little smaller than the one from Pitt. And it seems to be refreshing every minute, not every 15 seconds, but I’m happy to be able to see it at all. Thanks!

By the way, I never really noticed before, but the nest box on the Gulf Tower seems to be a good bit bigger than the one at Pitt.

10. Kate St. Johnon 10 Mar 2014 at 2:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Mary Ann. I have corrected the size and frequency of the Gulf Tower snapshots. They aren’t as sharp as Pitt’s but that is because we cannot disturb the nest to clean the camera at Gulf.

11. Kathy Bramanon 10 Mar 2014 at 2:43 pm

This is just such good news, Kate.

12. John Englishon 10 Mar 2014 at 4:48 pm

Awesome. Epic. Gnarly :-) Other adjectives will wait till I see you.

13. jon 10 Mar 2014 at 6:24 pm

Nice. I saw Dori hanging out at the nest box early yesterday afternoon. At first she was just standing in the scrape then she appeared to be doing some landscaping picking at the weeds growing in near the front and right side of the box.

14. Michelle, Colorado Springs, COon 11 Mar 2014 at 7:55 pm

Yay! I just saw this and I’m so excited. I have been following your blogs and the Peregrine Falcons for several years now and was so hoping they would come back to the Gulf Tower nest box. Any news on Dorothy and E2? Thanks for sharing! :)

15. Kathy McCharenon 12 Mar 2014 at 2:55 pm

So excited to see a second egg!!