May 20 2013
UPDATED May 30.
Save the date! Pitt Peregrine Fledge Watch will be Thursday May 30 through Wednesday June 5.
We’ll gather at the Schenley Plaza tent, above, to watch for the young peregrine’s first flight from the Cathedral of Learning.
See him walk the ledges and flap his wings to prepare for his big adventure. Watch Dorothy and E2 show him how to fly with some really cool flight demonstrations. See Dorothy keep the area safe for fledglings. Last year she attacked a bald eagle!
I’ll be there with peregrine fans from Pittsburgh Falconuts and volunteer peregrine monitors from the bridges. We’ll all swap stories about peregrines. I can hardly wait!
My challenge, as always, is to predict the best watching days. With one male chick this year I expect the time span to be brief. Male chicks normally fly early and improve their skills quickly.
So here’s the schedule but check the blog for updates because this event is very weather dependent. Peregrines don’t like to fledge in the rain. (UPDATED May 30.)
- UPDATE: Thur. May 30, 1:00pm to 2:00pm. Baby started ledge walking on May 28. On May 29 he perched in the keyhole while his parents put on an airshow. Great peregrine watching! Come to the tent.
- UPDATE: Fri. May 31, 12:30pm to 2:00pm. Slight chance of thunderstorms; hoping the weather cooperates during my extended lunch hour.
- Sat. June 1, 4:00pm to 6:00pm, weather dependent. Watch the weather. Rain and thunderstorms predicted. I won’t be there if it’s raining/storming.
- Sun. June 2, Weather Dependent! noon to 2:00pm, possibly extended hours (stay tuned). Watch the weather — more rain and thunderstorms predicted. Though our chick will be anxious to fly I won’t there if it’s raining/storming.
- Mon. June 3, noon to 2:00pm + after work 5:30pm to 7:00pm. I bet he’ll be flying by now but he won’t go far. This may be the best day.
- Tues. June 4, noon to 2:00pm + after work 5:30pm to 7:00pm. If Monday wasn’t best, Tuesday will be. Stay tuned for updates.
- Wed. June 5, 12:30pm to 2:00pm. Might be canceled if activity is on the wane. If “Baby” has left the nest zone, this day will be a bust. Stay tuned.
- June 6 and remainder of the week: Not scheduled. Stay tuned.
Come on down to Pitt Peregrine Fledge Watch! Meet me at the tent!
(photo of the Schenley Plaza tent by Kate St. John)