Jun 01 2012
Dorothy and E2′s peregrine chicks are raring to go. They’re going to make their first flight next week — maybe as soon as Sunday — so I’ve changed the Fledge Watch schedule.
See the young peregrines walk on the ledges and exercise their wings. Watch Dorothy and E2 show their kids how to fly with some really cool flight demonstrations. Come learn about peregrines and swap stories about the nesting year, including news of Pitt peregrine alumni and the Downtown peregrines (!).
Here’s the revised schedule, weather permitting. Bad weather will change this plan, so watch the blog for updates.
- Sunday June 3, 1:00pm to 2:00pm. Showers and gusty winds are predicted. The chicks may lay low but I’m going to check anyway. If it’s raining this watch will be cancelled.
- Monday, June 4, noon to 1:30pm. Monday’s the first day of really good weather since the weekend. We ought to see a lot of activity today at lunchtime.
- Tuesday, June 5, 12:30pm to 1:30pm (and after work, 5:30pm to 7:00pm). The weather looks good for Tuesday. Somebody’s going to fly today.
- Wednesday, June 6, noon to 2:00pm. I’m staying longer at lunch on Wednesday because I think it’ll be a good day.
- Thursday, June 7, noon to 2:00pm (and after work, 5:30pm to 7:00pm). Activity on the ledge might be on the wane but I’m hoping for a good burst of flapping on Thursday. If they’ve all flown away from the nest area, this date will be a bust. Stay tuned.
- Friday, June 8, 1:00pm to 2:00pm (and after work, 5:30pm to 7:00pm). Soon I’ll be chasing the “kids” around campus instead of sitting at the tent. Today will be good to start at the tent.
- Saturday & Sunday, June 9 & 10, no time set. At this point the fledglings will probably be flying to other buildings. When they do I’ll be either at the tent or on campus circling the Cathedral of Learning and Heinz Chapel. Check the blog for news.
Plan on joining me at the tent for Pitt Peregrine Fledge Watch.
(photo of the Schenley Plaza tent by Kate St. John)