Mar 22 2012

Second Egg at Pitt!

Published by at 10:38 am under Peregrines

Dorothy laid her second egg at 10:00am today but she exposed it only briefly, captured at this link by @PittPeregrines.

For two and a half hours she panted while she sheltered her eggs from the scorching heat — probably more than 85 degrees at the nest in full sun.

Finally at 12:21pm she showed us both eggs.  Then at 12:30pm E2 brought food and took his turn at keeping the eggs cool.

Whew!  When will this heat wave end??

(photos from the National Aviary falconcam at the Cathedral of Learning)

9 Responses to “Second Egg at Pitt!”

1. Michelle, Colorado Springs, COon 22 Mar 2012 at 11:24 am

Wonderful to see! :)

2. Kathyon 22 Mar 2012 at 12:07 pm

I just saw that! I have been watching and wondering. She just turned a bit and there it was!!!!

3. Donnaon 22 Mar 2012 at 12:45 pm

Checking the archives, it looks like the second egg arrived at exactly 10AM. A hotspot has been created.

4. Anne Marieon 22 Mar 2012 at 12:51 pm

Perhaps a fan should be installed next to the camera in the off-season….

5. John Englishon 22 Mar 2012 at 12:52 pm

And I missed it by 10 minutes! Doing laundry as I predicted :-(

6. Kate St. Johnon 22 Mar 2012 at 12:55 pm

Actually, we should halve the infrared array. It’s so “bright” that it washes out the colors of the streaming cam. And it’s like a mini heat lamp. D perches under it in cold weather but avoids it in hot weather.

7. Barbon 22 Mar 2012 at 3:27 pm

Has anyone seen Dori or Louie?

8. Kate St. Johnon 22 Mar 2012 at 8:47 pm

Yes, they are still downtown but not at the Gulf Tower side of the city. We think they are over near Point Park University. We need observers to watch for them over there.

9. Kate St. Johnon 24 Mar 2012 at 4:16 pm

Clarification/correction about the infrared array. It has a light sensor so it’s only on in the dark. (I forgot that I’ve actually seen it turn on & off.) Meanwhile the streaming camera image is poor for reasons of its own. I emailed Bill Powers at Pix Controller & he says it looks like we’ll have to replace the camera for next year’s season.