Mar 17 2012

Snowy Owl in Warm Weather

Published by at 7:24 am under Birds of Prey

We’ve had unseasonably warm weather but it hasn’t prevented a snowy owl from visiting just south of Worthington along SR 3011 in Armstrong County.

First reported by Mark McConaughy on March 14, birders flocked to see the owl who quickly became one of the most photographed birds in western Pennsylvania.

Of the many beautiful photos I couldn’t resist posting Shawn Collin’s picture of the owl yawning from a porch roof yesterday.

Is the heat making the owl sleepy?  Or is he just bored with all this attention?

(photo by Shawn Collins)

9 Responses to “Snowy Owl in Warm Weather”

1. Kathyon 17 Mar 2012 at 1:32 pm

So beautiful!

2. Kathyon 17 Mar 2012 at 1:33 pm

Kate…any news from Dori and Louie? The nest box is soooo empty.

3. Kate St. Johnon 17 Mar 2012 at 1:36 pm

No news since Thursday when Dori made a brief appearance.

4. Kathyon 17 Mar 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thanks. I was just watching Dorothy. I thought for sure an egg was on its way. It was Dorothy and not E2 I hope.

5. Steve-oon 18 Mar 2012 at 6:47 pm

My dad and my nephew got to see this owl today. This may be the most popular bird in the region.

6. Marge Van Tasselon 19 Mar 2012 at 11:52 pm

Does look like it’s bored, doesn’t it? Funny, Kate. Amazing how far it can rotate it’s head, too. We think it was kind of panting for a few days now and then. Today we spied a pellet (same one I guess Shannon Thompson saw) on the roof of that little house it likes so much. It even looked like it was checking it out itself. I really hope it goes home (north) soon as 2 men today said it appears to be a young male that can’t get the motivation to leave since there is so much food in that area but it needs to leave soon. There were about 100+ people between noon and 5 today and they were still coming when I left. Another birder was staying another hour and he’s still counting.

7. Laura Reedyon 23 Mar 2012 at 7:04 am

Yesterday I took my mom and we went to see our visitor to Worthington. And I will tell you he is one of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen. I always take one day out of any vacation or trip to birdwatch. What a gift in our own back yard. He is just beautiful. Even mom was amazed and she isn’t crazy about any animal.

8. Bec...on 10 May 2012 at 10:05 pm

What climate does the snowy owl prefer? please help

9. Kate St. Johnon 11 May 2012 at 6:47 am

Snowy owls prefer the Arctic but they can live elsewhere during the Arctic winter. The snowy owl pictured above left for the north around March 25.