Mar 03 2012
Yesterday on my walk to work I noticed the treetops seem to have thickened.
They have! Through binoculars I could see that the buds are swelling and the twigs look thicker.
Spring is coming faster than usual. Here are some of its many signs:
- Red maples are flowering.
- Honeysuckle bushes have tiny green leaves peeking out of their buds.
- Pussy willows have furry catkins.
- The seed balls on London plane trees are breaking up into fluffy achenes.
- Celandine and garlic mustard are sprouting green leaves.
Marcy Cunkelman’s flowering quince was about to bloom last Tuesday. Maybe it has by now … just in time for tomorrow’s snow showers.
This March would like to come in like a lion but winter’s been a lamb.
(photo by Marcy Cunkelman)