Jun 13 2011

More Peregrine Close-ups

Published by at 7:30 am under Peregrines

A week ago Nancy Weixel was lucky to see three young peregrines lounging on a ledge at the Cathedral of Learning.  She just happened to have her camera.   Here’s what she saw.

“Yellow” (female) standing next to “Red” (male).

“Red” is stepping out.

Begging.. though we can’t hear her.

What do you think?  Was Nancy lucky?

(photos by Nancy Weixel)

17 Responses to “More Peregrine Close-ups”

1. Peteron 13 Jun 2011 at 7:41 am

Wow! Was she ever! If she needs any help around the office… :-) Great pics of the kids, Nancy!

2. sharon leadbiteron 13 Jun 2011 at 7:51 am

Oh my goodness!! Is it just me or does the male look like he’s saying .. “Go ahead … make my day” Or maybe “I disapprove of this picture taking” :-)

3. Kathyon 13 Jun 2011 at 8:18 am

FANTASTIC pictures!!!!

4. Anne Marieon 13 Jun 2011 at 8:40 am

Very lucky! Great photos … thanks to Nancy for sharing them!

5. Mary DeV.on 13 Jun 2011 at 9:13 am

Gorgeous! I went by Saturday evening and somebody (couldn’t tell if it was a kid or an adult) was hanging out on Heinz Chapel’s steeple. I thought of stopping to take pix but right that minute a wedding party emerged — and I didn’t want to disturb them!

“Oh, no, I’m not paying any attention to YOU, I’m looking at the bird up there!”

6. Nellie Curranon 13 Jun 2011 at 9:24 am

Wow, great photos! And it looks as if the kids was posing for her and all of us! Thank you Nancy.

7. faith cornellon 13 Jun 2011 at 9:30 am

Nancy was maybe lucky & maybe destiny put her there for all of us who could not show the live moment. Thank goodness we live in times when we have all this gadgetry to enjoy the moment with her and in turn her taking the time to make sure we could see what she saw. Thanks Nancy and Kate, boy sure beats a cool Monday blues.

8. Dianeon 13 Jun 2011 at 9:35 am

Nancy was lucky and so are your readers because she shared these wonderful photos!

9. Jan Christensenon 13 Jun 2011 at 11:33 am

Magnificent shots!!! Thanks, Nancy and Kate. I’ve been having computer problems all morning, so when I finally got to see these pictures, they made my day! So many thanks again.

10. kellyon 13 Jun 2011 at 11:35 am

I’ve often wondered if falcons have better vision from the front or side. Or, are they looking at you when they are “facing” you or when “siding” you? Anyone? Anyone?

11. jlynnbon 13 Jun 2011 at 2:14 pm

Wonderful photos !! More and more sites for peregrines seem to be popping up. Just read about a couple of sites in Ann Arbor, MI and they had three hatchlings this year.

12. Monikaon 14 Jun 2011 at 8:38 am

Great photos Nancy! I especially love the first and last one: “Whatcha looking at?” :)

13. Paul Outonon 14 Jun 2011 at 9:42 am

Kate:

I haven’t seen it, but I hear there is a peregrine nest in the Bell Tower at East Liberty Presbyterian now.

Best to you and Rick,
    Paul Outon

14. Terrion 14 Jun 2011 at 1:34 pm

Dare I say that they look cuddly? Such sweet, curious faces. Okay, I anthropomorphize, but they really strike me as adorable. Terrific photos. They really capture the birds’ youth.

15. Vicki & Chuckon 15 Jun 2011 at 9:38 am

What a treasure. Peregrines have such special expressions. Wish they could talk our language. Lovely job!

16. Patty C.on 15 Jun 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thank you Nancy and Kate. I love the sense of having a “bird’s eye view” that the pics give. –Patty

17. Ellieon 16 Jun 2011 at 9:07 pm

These photos are amazing. Thanks so much for sharing with us.