Dec 14 2010

Always Carry Your Camera

Published by at 7:30 am under Birds of Prey,Schenley Park

You never know when wildlife will do something fun.

Last summer when Luke Gerben Kaspar attended camp at Carnegie-Mellon University he spent time watching two immature red-tailed hawks at Schenley Park.  The hawks probably fledged from the nest on CMU’s Fine Arts Building so they were still close to home.  And they were still too young to be serious!

Fortunately Luke had his camera with him and caught the hawks goofing around.  Click on the photo to watch a slideshow of their silly antics.

Good job, Luke!  We’re glad you carried your camera.

(photos by Luke Gerben Kaspar who was 11 years old when he took these pictures.  Thanks to his mom, Gigi, for sending them.)

13 Responses to “Always Carry Your Camera”

1. faith cornellon 14 Dec 2010 at 8:30 am

That was really nice; the sharing. I am just so not a camera person that I have probably missed alot altho it is in my dim memory. But it is nice that people do seem to carry around cameras alot more; and yes I realize that the phones now do everything except get your breakfast & wash your hair. Everyone keep warm!!!!!!!!

2. Anne Marieon 14 Dec 2010 at 8:53 am

Wow great pictures! Thanks to Luke and his mom. I can’t take pictures like that… and i don’t want to share my age! :-)

3. Steve Tironeon 14 Dec 2010 at 9:19 am

Great shots, Luke!

I’ve been wondering about the Red-tails, and other raptors, nesting in the vicinity of the Peregrines, particularly since your post mentioning the Red-tail feeding on the lawn near the Cathedral. How close do they allow other birds of prey to nest? Are there any other well known raptor nests in the area?

4. Donnaon 14 Dec 2010 at 10:29 am

Wow – thanks for the great photos Luke! You are a fledgling photographer!

5. barbaraon 14 Dec 2010 at 10:39 am

Ahh — great close-ups of the red tails. They certainly are beautiful birds! — barbara

6. deniseon 14 Dec 2010 at 11:00 am

Thanks Luke. The birds markings are so beautiful when they’re young.

7. Dottyon 14 Dec 2010 at 11:07 am

Terrrific photos, Luke. Thank you for sharing!

8. Sueon 14 Dec 2010 at 3:18 pm

Beautiful birds – great camera work!

9. Cult of Truthon 14 Dec 2010 at 3:37 pm

Awww… They’re so beautiful. Also, they look like they’re wearing pants, which adds a certain amount of squee to their fierceness.

10. Marianneon 14 Dec 2010 at 4:08 pm

Great photos Luke! I needed a smile in this frigid weather!

Thanks to you and your Mom for sharing. Keep up the good work! :-)

11. kittenfaceon 14 Dec 2010 at 8:52 pm

Thank you to Luke and his mother for sending them for us to view.

Wonderful pictures and from one so young.
    Can you imagine the pictures he’ll be getting in the next few years?

12. Peteron 14 Dec 2010 at 10:18 pm

These are fantastic! What a great experience…if he grows up without an interest in birds, it won’t be for lack any special memories.

Donna…groan…that was terrible – a “fledgling” photographer. I love it, wish I’d thought of it first!

Thanks for sharing Luke.

13. Kate St. Johnon 15 Dec 2010 at 3:36 pm

Steve asked: “How close do they [the peregrines] allow other birds of prey to nest? Are there any other well known raptor nests in the area?”

The Pitt peregrines are very protective of their airspace and will not allow any large birds of prey (red-tails) to nest within appprox a 4-block radius, though this is a fluid boundary that expands if they feel threatened. For many years red-tailed hawks have nested just outside that boundary at Central Catholic and/or CMU. I am not as familiar with raptor activity to the west & north but I know that kestrels nest in Oakland to the west, though I don’t know where.