Sep 04 2010

On Bubble Pond

Published by at 7:20 am under Travel,Water and Shore

One of the most memorable bird moments of my life happened on Bubble Pond.

It was 20 years ago at Acadia National Park.  My husband and I had hiked up Cadillac Mountain and were returning on the carriage path when we paused to look at the pond through a gap in the trees.  There, only a few yards away from us, was a female common merganser.  Alone.

I was very excited to see her, but in those days I could not identify ducks without my field guide and it was in the car.  I told my husband, “This could take a while” and rushed back to the car to get it.  He understood and waited near the parking lot, reading a book.

Back at the pond the merganser was still there, dipping her face in the water to watch for fish.  Sometimes she raised her head and looked at me unafraid.  I figured out her name but I didn’t want to leave.

It was very quiet, only the sound of small waves lapping at the shore.  The sun sparkled on the water.  The merganser swam near me.  Peace.

(photo by Kippy Spilker from Shutterstock)

6 Responses to “On Bubble Pond”

1. faith cornellon 04 Sep 2010 at 7:30 am

What a beautiful memory.

2. barbaraon 04 Sep 2010 at 10:21 am

Beautiful story — moments like that stay locked in one’s mind. — barbara

3. Marianneon 04 Sep 2010 at 12:35 pm

It sounds like a wonderful experience!

4. SueGon 05 Sep 2010 at 3:47 pm

She doesn’t look at all common.

5. kellyon 09 Sep 2010 at 4:39 pm

hi kate. i just returned from my first trip to acadia. i spent a lot of time biking the carriage trails. one of my favorite experiences was of bubble pond. one day, the colors there were just magical. the sun was shining brightly. the water was a gorgeous blue green and the surrounding flora reflected brilliantly. it was somehow idyllic and then i spotted a lone loon in perfect breeding plumage. i’ve seen plenty of loons wintering at the jersey shore and i’ve seen them in breeding plumage before they leave for their summer digs, but it was quite something to see this guy at his summer home…..and what a home. i know that this was a rather simple experience but breath-taking nonetheless. my fond memory of bubble pond~kelly

6. Kippyon 15 Oct 2010 at 7:12 pm

One of the most beautiful ways I’ve seen my photography used, Kate. Thank you so much, and for the photo credit as well. :)