Jul 27 2010

Happy to see my favorite bird

Published by at 7:23 am under Peregrines

The snapshot camera at the University of Pittsburgh peregrine nest isn’t broadcasting but it’s capturing motion detection images to confirm the male peregrine’s identity.  (Yes, we’ve confirmed he’s E2.)

The nest is usually vacant but Dorothy stopped by and fanned her feathers earlier this month.   The only excitement occurred last Wednesday when one of the youngsters showed up and begged loudly for food. The same thing happened on Friday at Gulf Tower.

It must have been the week to stop by the old homestead and ask for a hand-out.  I know the begging youngsters weren’t White or Yellow, the rehab birds, because they haven’t been released yet.

In other news:

• According to Steve Valasek it’s quiet at the Tarentum Bridge except for an adult peregrine who still shows up at dusk.
  • In Lancaster the nestlings are getting ready to fledge.  Meredith Lombard has new photos in the Peregrines folder at this link.
  • In Columbus Ohio, the resident female peregrine at the Rhodes State Office Building has changed three times since July 1.  Read about it here

Other than that, it’s quiet.  Dorothy spends time roosting in the shade near the top of the Cathedral of Learning.

I’m always happy to see her, even if she isn’t doing anything.

My favorite bird.

(photo from the National Aviary snapshot camera)

9 Responses to “Happy to see my favorite bird”

1. Marianneon 27 Jul 2010 at 9:17 am

Thanks Kate, for the pic & updates in a nutshell. It helps with PW.

The peregrine happenings in Columbus are quite interesting, especially with the new female peregrine from Canada!

2. Coleenon 27 Jul 2010 at 10:33 am

Thanks for the welcome update on E2 and Dorothy. It’s nice to know that they are getting some R&R after an exhausting few months. I miss the whole family!

3. Donnaon 27 Jul 2010 at 12:53 pm

What a gorgeous photo of Dorothy! Glad to know she’s enjoying some well-deserved time off!

4. faith cornellon 27 Jul 2010 at 1:35 pm

I agree that this picture warms your heart; like an old friend you run into. After the death of the eaglet Phoenix before she even got to fly all those watchers certainly were devasted. So this picture & the other ones on the links were good to see & so interesting. Thanks Kate.

5. Anne Marieon 27 Jul 2010 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for today’s peregrine blog… all very interesting and was a bright spot in my day. I think many of us echo your “My favorite bird”

6. Kate St. Johnon 27 Jul 2010 at 8:21 pm

I reported above that “the only excitement occurred last Wednesday.” Hah!

Today at lunchtime I saw 3 peregrines at Pitt. I was about 3 blocks away but I could tell one was definitely a juvenile and was begging from an adult. The third peregrine flew away from the ruckus; I didn’t get a good look at it.

The adult seemed to be chasing the juvie away — not being mean, just being clear that the juvie was not supposed to be there. When the juvie landed at a cache area the adult flew by in a “get off that perch” attitude — again not mean, just firm. The juvie refused to leave so the adult left.

It looked to me like the adults were telling the juvenile, “Time for you to fend for yourself.”

7. Michellineon 27 Jul 2010 at 11:58 pm

“My favorite bird” What a sweet article Kate. Dorothy is one special falcon.
    Thanks for the update on White and Yellow. I think about them daily and wish them well.

8. Kayon 28 Jul 2010 at 10:31 am

What happened to Phoenix? I haven’t had a chance to tune into the Hornby eagle site for awhile and just read Faith C’s post. How sad. It’s been tough year for the young bird of prey. I too agree, it’s nice to see Dorothy even if she is “just hang’n around”.

9. Kate St. Johnon 28 Jul 2010 at 10:46 am

Information on Phoenix’s death is here: http://www.hornbyeagles.com/