Jul 17 2010
I have a couple of mystery birds up my sleeve. Here’s the second one.
Keep in mind that it’s harder to identify a bird from a still photograph than it is when you see it move. Behavior, posture and eating habits are huge clues to a bird’s identity.
However, this bird has several characteristics that help identify it. Notice…
- The size and color of its beak
- The size of the stripe above its eye
- The brown patch on its face
- Its brown wings and odd wing bars
- The faintly striped beige area around its neck
- The fluffy look of its head.
What species do you think this is? Can you tell anything about its age and sex?
Let me know.
(photo by Marcy Cunkelman)