Jun 28 2010

From the Top

Published by at 7:45 am under Peregrines

News of the Pitt and Gulf tower peregrine families has been good since Thursday’s tragedy.

If you’ve kept up with the comments on my Green Boy post, you’ll know that Peter Bell and Anne Marie Bosnyak both observed the Pitt peregrines on Friday after work. (Information on Green Boy, his sister Yellow and the status of the chimney is at the bottom of my Green Boy post.)

Peter had his camera with him and saw the entire family, which now numbers three juveniles and two adults.  I love his photo of a juvenile on top of a miniature spire at St. Paul’s Cathedral.  See more of Peter’s pictures here.

Meanwhile downtown, Sharon Leadbitter has a birds-eye view of the Gulf Tower from her office inside the US Steel Building.  On Thursday she took her camera to work and was able to record video of three juvenile peregrines flying together.   Her video below gives you an idea of how very big their world is – even when they’re close to home.

It’s a really nice view from the top.

Thanks to all of you for your news and photos of Pittsburgh’s peregrines.  Keep sending me your observations.  I appreciate your help keeping track of these birds!

(photo by Peter Bell, video by Sharon Leadbitter)

8 Responses to “From the Top”

1. Carolon 28 Jun 2010 at 8:50 am

Those were some beautiful pictures of the falcons. LOVE IT. I am happy to hear and see some good news since last week’s bad news. Those little ones are exploring their world and having lots of fun flying and learning.

2. faith Cornellon 28 Jun 2010 at 10:54 am

Thank you so much you wonderful talented people. I feel so smart just because I can turn a computer on. On a grey Monday this is wonderful to see & know you are watching & sharing with us. Thank you again Kate for having this wonderful site for us. Its these things that make us so much for grateful for what is provided to us in nature and how we must all take responsibility.

3. Michellineon 28 Jun 2010 at 12:49 pm

Thumbs up! What a beautiful photo and video. Thank you Peter and Sharon. Thanks Kate for sharing them with us.

4. Donnaon 28 Jun 2010 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the gorgeous photos, Peter and the amazing video, Sharon! These birds never cease to amaze me!

5. Libby Strizzion 28 Jun 2010 at 2:22 pm

Peter’s photos are wonderful. I love the peregrines against the vivid blue sky — that one he wishes were sharper — it’s feathers are spread out and like a silhouette against the sky. I think his new lens is doing very well! Enjoyed Sharon’s video as well — you’re right, Kate, a pretty view from up high like that.

6. Sharonon 28 Jun 2010 at 5:48 pm

I love watching the falcons from my window. People at work think I’m crazy obsessed but …. pfffftttt!!!! I even have some co-workers ready to poke me if they see something going on.

I’m glad you all enjoyed the video. Hopefully there will be more to come

7. Dottyon 29 Jun 2010 at 12:01 am

Thank you Sharon and Peter, and Kate, and everyone else…..it’s been a blessing to watch and learn.

8. Kate St. Johnon 30 Jun 2010 at 10:53 am

Why are the adults at the nest now that their young have flown?
    See this Peregrine FAQ: