May 14 2010

Save These Dates: Chat and Fledge Watch

Published by at 8:48 am under Books & Events,Peregrines

Two peregrine-related events are coming soon.  Save these dates!

• PEREGRINE CHAT:  Next Wednesday, May 19 from 7:00pm to 7:30pm, Dr. Todd Katzner of the National Aviary will guest moderate the Cathedral of Learning webcam chat to answer your questions about peregrine falcons.  Dr. Katzner is a raptor expert and the Director of Conservation and Field Research at the National Aviary.  To participate, login at the “Please sign in or sign up for free” links on the Cathedral of Learning webcam page.   For more background, see this blog about the chat held on April 28.

• PITT FLEDGE WATCH:  My favorite week of the year is coming — Pitt Peregrine Fledge Watch!   When the young peregrines are about to take their first flight I sit at the tent at Schenley Plaza and watch the fun.  Come join me!  We’ll see young peregrines flapping and adult peregrines flying.  We’ll see how Dorothy and E2 teach their kids to fly and we’ll have a grand old time.  Save these dates, weather permitting.  More details to follow in the days ahead.
    • Friday May 28, noon to 2:15pm.  Kick off the Memorial Day Weekend with peregrine fun.
    • Saturday May 29, 8:00am to 11:00am.  I’ll stay until noon if I know you’re coming!
    • Tuesday June 1, noon to 2:15pm.  This is the Rain Date for Friday May 28, but I’ll be at Schenley Plaza on June 1st even if it didn’t rain on Friday!
    • Wednesday and Thursday June 2 & 3, 1:00pm to 2:15pm.  I will also be there before and after work some days, to be determined.

10 Responses to “Save These Dates: Chat and Fledge Watch”

1. Mary DeV.on 14 May 2010 at 2:25 pm

Cool — I’ll come with a small telescope and a couple of pairs of binoculars!

2. Lucieon 14 May 2010 at 2:48 pm

Since the COL chicks are nearly ready for banding (22-30 days as reported in the FAQ), will we see it on the webcam? They sure are gowing fast. The Gulf Tower chicks seem to still be so floppy – hope they are progressing normally!

3. Kate St. Johnon 14 May 2010 at 2:56 pm

Mary DeV, I was hoping you’d say that! Looking forward to meeting you!

4. Kate St. Johnon 14 May 2010 at 2:59 pm

Lucie, the banding happens indoors and since the camera needs some work it’ll undergo maintenance so it won’t be broadcasting. (During the banding is the only time anyone’s allowed out on the ledge where the camera is.) You will be able to see the events on the snapshot camera.

5. Lucieon 14 May 2010 at 3:20 pm

I noticed that the one chick seems to have developed more feathers as I was watching from this morning until now. Hope she hasn’t gotten too many for the banding since she seems to be progressing faster than the rest. I noticed that they were getting more vocal, too. And that they are getting more aggressive with grabbing the food from the parents! This has been such a great experience – I’m glad I heard about the webcams.

6. Kate St. Johnon 14 May 2010 at 4:09 pm

They sure are growing fast but they won’t be too far along at the banding. When they’re ready to fly they are brown and cream-colored – no fluffy white.

7. Donnaon 14 May 2010 at 6:02 pm

I have family obligations on the weekend, but will try to make it once or twice during the week.

8. Tracion 16 May 2010 at 2:57 pm

Since I live so close and have a new camera, I plan to be there as many times as possible. :) I am determined to get at least one decent, close-up of at least one peregrine. :) And to meet everybody of course!!

9. Janeon 17 May 2010 at 11:01 am

I live in NYC. Sorry I’ll miss the fun.
    Do you know that here we also have falcons? (But of course you do). There is a webcam on a nest at 55 Water St in lower Manhattan.
    Thanks for everything.
    Jane

10. Kate St. Johnon 17 May 2010 at 11:16 am

Jane, my friend Karen visited NYC last month and made sure to stop by 55 Water Street because she’d heard about that pair & wanted to see what their building was like.

Your NYC peregrines (and kestrels) are famous. We’re happy you have so many nesting pairs.