May 09 2010

Signs of Spring: Field Mustard

Published by at 7:37 am under Phenology,Plants

It’s early for Field Mustard and it usually blooms by the side of the road but sometimes it’s found in very special places.

Dianne Machesney photographed this one blooming alone at Braddock Trail Park last weekend.

It was blooming so early that it caused some confusion.  Was it really Field Mustard?

Yes.  Spring is just too early this year.

(photo by Dianne Machesney)

9 Responses to “Signs of Spring: Field Mustard”

1. myontzon 09 May 2010 at 8:55 am

There was an article in our local newspaper about garlic mustard. They said that it is a non-native species and the roots give off a chemical that kills the native wild flowers. They are trying to hand pull a lot of it along the sides of the road to help the native plants.

2. Carlana Rhotenon 09 May 2010 at 9:45 am

Dear Kate, Love your nature info on flowers animals and birds in addition to the falcon stuff. A Fan, Carlana

3. Carlana Rhotenon 09 May 2010 at 10:01 am

My apologies to Dore a.k.a. Brunhilda. I just saw her pick up a chick to put it behind a couple of eggs so she could sit on it.

4. Lucieon 09 May 2010 at 2:28 pm

I see a chick at the Gulf Tower! right now I think it is Louie sitting on the eggs and chick. Did it arrive for Mothers’ Day? I didn’t watch yesterday.

5. Nellie Curranon 09 May 2010 at 3:51 pm

Kate, I just saw 1 chick at The Gulf Tower. Apx. 3:50pm.

6. Patsyon 09 May 2010 at 4:57 pm

I do believe that at least one chick at the Gulf Tower has arrived.

7. Tanyaon 22 Jun 2010 at 10:24 pm

Kate,
    Nice photo, but actually it isn’t tower mustard (Turritis [Arabis] glabra). The flowers of tower mustard are much smaller and creamy white, and the fruits go straight up and hug the stem. The CT Botanical Society photo shows this well. Here’s another link to photos that show the narrow inflorescence: http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection.php. I’d say that it is in fact field mustard.

8. Kate St. Johnon 22 Jun 2010 at 10:27 pm

Hmmm. I did not see it myself and am no flower expert. I will ask again. (I might have used the wrong photo. Ack!)

9. Kate St. Johnon 24 Jun 2010 at 2:59 pm

Tanya, you are right! My flower experts have examined this photo and say “Field Mustard.” I’ve changed the title & text of the blog to reflect the correction.