Apr 16 2010

Pittcam is up again

Published by at 2:56 pm under Peregrines

After 30 hours down, the streaming camera at the University of Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning is up again –>  http://www.aviary.org/cons/falconcam_cl.php

It was an adventure.  :)

12 Responses to “Pittcam is up again”

1. Nellie Curranon 16 Apr 2010 at 5:00 pm

Great to have that camera on again. I just got a quick look at the nest at the Gulf Tower when Dori and Louis changed places and it looks like they have 6 eggs in there! Let me know if I’m wrong.

2. Kate St. Johnon 16 Apr 2010 at 5:11 pm

Today I got confirmation from Make-A-Wish that there are only 5 eggs. I wonder what magic is going on that several people have seen six?

3. Donnaon 16 Apr 2010 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for getting the camera back up Kate!

4. myontzon 17 Apr 2010 at 6:34 am

Yes! Thank you very much! I can only imagine what you had to go through to get to it to do the reboot.

5. Marianneon 17 Apr 2010 at 11:30 am

Ditto the previous comments saying thank you for going through contortions to get the cam running again. I really enjoy seeing the Peregrines in real time!

6. Carlana Rhotenon 17 Apr 2010 at 4:24 pm

Last night, I checked in to see the Gulf Site and was mystified at what looked like a white bird figure on a stick, in the nest near the right edge. In the daylight it looks like it could be made of white feathers, but it still looks like it is on a stick. Maybe it is another optical illusion. Also, at 1:40pm I happened to check on the Cathedral site, and saw E2 come to the nest, be distracted by what sounded like a third falcon, challenging call, and he took off without sitting on the eggs.

7. Kate St. Johnon 17 Apr 2010 at 9:11 pm

Carlana, that white thing at the Gulf nest does indeed look like a bird. It might be part of a bird leftover from a prior meal — maybe pieces left elsewhere that blew into the nest during Friday’s windy thunderstorms.

8. Donnaon 17 Apr 2010 at 9:20 pm

I have seen that figure for a few days. Look like a small plant to me – rooftop garden maybe?

9. Kate St. Johnon 17 Apr 2010 at 9:34 pm

It’s a plant. (It’s green in daylight.)
    The nestbox has the original gravel from 1991 and it has collected a lot of seeds. Every year the nestbox grows into a jungle by July. Here’s a picture from Sept 2003. Notice that there’s something white in the picture that looks very similar (there’s a peregrine looking at or eating the white thing). In this case I think the white thing is part of a pigeon.
    I also like this camera angle which shows that the area near the left side pillar is a perch with a view.

10. Tracion 17 Apr 2010 at 10:15 pm

The perspective would indicate that the white thing is a flower, which looks very similar to the wild hibiscus that grows in my yard. It’s a flowering plant!! How fascinating! Reminds me of those ‘Earth after Man’ series on Discovery…where they show how wildlife and nature would simply consume Man’s buildings…
    This would have been taken 7 years ago – I guess the nutrients the gravel had just didn’t sustain that little shrub over the years. I don’t recall this much growth being in the box last year.
    Great photo!

11. Kate St. Johnon 17 Apr 2010 at 10:25 pm

Actually, the nestbox is “weeded” every year so we can see the nest.

12. Carlana Rhotenon 20 Apr 2010 at 4:09 am

Thanks for solving the mystery. I would never have guessed a plant. We had just had the tremendous wind storms, and I wondered how the birds, eggs and gravel kept from being blown off.