Aug 04 2009

Summer Blockbusters

Published by at 7:09 am under Peregrines,Schenley Park

The major studios have come out with their summer action flicks.  Now I have one too.

Nine weeks ago I spent my lunch hours at Schenley Plaza waiting for the peregrines to fledge at the University of Pittsburgh.  On June 2nd WQED’s Web intern, Christa Majoras, came to Fledge Watch with a video camera and recorded the event.  Then she edited it into a short video which I’ve saved as a treat for you today.  (OK, I’ll admit it.  I didn’t have time until now to learn the Flash plug-in.)

Click the Play button above to see the results.  If you don’t know what I look like, now you will.  I’m the one with the hat and sunglasses who’s talking all the time.

Special thanks to Linda, Libby and Betsy for being part of this video.

p.s. for after the movie:  The Jersey shore is only part of the answer.  They also go here.

p.p.s.  See the new Peregrine FAQ on fledge watching.

note\\flashvideo file=”http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/video/bird_7-16-09.flv” image=”http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/kate_FledgeVideo.jpg” /

8 Responses to “Summer Blockbusters”

1. Patsyon 04 Aug 2009 at 7:42 am

Kate, enjoyed the video. Thanks so much for the information you provide. It’s all so fascinating.

2. Kathyon 04 Aug 2009 at 7:52 am

Well! Good Morning, Kate. It is a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for sharing.

3. Kathy McCharenon 04 Aug 2009 at 8:24 am

Hi, Kate–Great video! I hope to retire in 3 years and making a trip to Pittsburgh to watch the peregrines during fledge time is one of the things on my “TO DO IN RETIREMENT” list! Kathy

4. Libby Strizzion 04 Aug 2009 at 8:41 am

As one of the “stars” of your video, I too enjoyed it, of course. I have just emailed friend Betsy to be sure to watch it. That was such a fun day, even tho we didn’t see any fledging. It was just great to get to view the scene, so i could picture it in my mind whenever Kate talked about the Cathedral of Learning & its occupants.

5. Elizabeth Eckian (mancino)on 05 Aug 2009 at 9:13 am

THanks For Posting the Video Kate! Great to see my mom (Betsy).

6. Pattyon 07 Aug 2009 at 2:39 pm

Thank you Kate and Ladies of WQED, this is a great video! I had to laugh–I spent some timme at the Jersey Shore as a juvenile, too! Hope they had fun. Take care, all and thanks for all you do.

7. Cris Hamiltonon 09 Aug 2009 at 11:04 am

Very nice video, Kate and ladies. Super job taking and editing the video, Christa!

8. Lindaon 12 Aug 2009 at 3:55 pm

I am the Linda of the video and I thank you for rekindling fine memories of that great day. So nice to meet you.