Apr 24 2009

First egg at Gulf Tower just hatched!

Published by at 3:54 pm under Peregrines

Possible hatched egg at Gulf Tower peregrine nest (photo from National Aviary webcam)Gulf Tower first egg hatched! (photo from National Aviary webcam)

Latest from the Gulf Tower peregrine falcon nest!

(photo from National Aviary webcam)

9 Responses to “First egg at Gulf Tower just hatched!”

1. Kit McGlincheyon 24 Apr 2009 at 3:58 pm

There’s are hatch, Kate…YAY !!!

2. Gloriaon 24 Apr 2009 at 3:59 pm

Saw Tasha with something in her mouth, leaving the nest right after (it looked like) she was feeding the new chick…. couldn’t make out what it was….

3. Tracion 24 Apr 2009 at 5:51 pm

Oh Cool! I just tuned in and saw a little white blob moving!! No parents – but then one of them came back!

I’ll be anxious for Dorothy’s eggs to hatch so I can actually see what’s happening!!
    Is it my imagination or is the Gulf Tower cam blurry? The COL cam has spoiled me!!

4. Joannon 24 Apr 2009 at 6:42 pm

I have a question-i’m looking at the Gulf Tower website & it looks like one of the eggs is off to the right like Tasha rolled it away from the rest of the eggs. Would she do that if she couldn’t hear anything coming from the egg-like dogs or cats do when they know one of the litter is too weak to survive?

5. Kathyon 24 Apr 2009 at 9:58 pm

Kate, How beautiful. Congratulations!!

I am originally from Rochester, transplanted to FL, but am a Mariah/Kaver follower. I have been going through all of the drama there and all Mariah has been through.

It is a privilege to have your “Beauty” flying over the Rochester skies with Archer. We believe they may have eggs somewhere, but don’t know for sure.

In the absence of being able to watch M&K, I became hooked on the Tower and Learning Center, which I found through your post on the rfalcon yahoo site.

Thank you so much. It is wonderful to watch these beautiful birds. It is a special treat to watch Beauty’s mom too at the Learning Center site. Hopefully her eggs will be hatching soon.

6. Kate St. Johnon 25 Apr 2009 at 7:06 am

Some answers to your questions:
    >Is it my imagination or is the Gulf Tower cam blurry?
    The Gulf cam appears to be blurry because it is much further away from the nest than the Pitt cam. It’s a much older camera than the one at Pitt, it cannot zoom and it must be manually focused. No one can go out on the ledge to fix it once nesting begins so “it is what it is,” as they say.

>it looks like one of the eggs is off to the right like Tasha rolled it away from the rest of the eggs.
    Indeed Tasha did roll away the egg shell. The mother bird tosses the shells out of the nest scrape as the eggs hatch. Because they are white inside they show up easily. When the mother bird is brooding and we can’t see the contents of the nest, seeing an eggshell off to the side is sometimes our only clue that eggs have hatched.

>Would she [move the egg away] if she couldn’t hear anything coming from the egg-like dogs or cats do when they know one of the litter is too weak to survive?
    Not yet. Peregrine parents must brood their chicks for about 8 days. During that time they keep the unhatched eggs with the chicks – just in case. Eventually they move the unhatched eggs out of the way – but not yet. You’ll probably get a chacnce to see this happen at both nests.

7. Jon 25 Apr 2009 at 12:34 pm

I’m watching the Gulf Tower cam at 12:30 and Tasha appears to be feeding here chick(s). I can’t tell if a second egg has hatched, but I do see some bright white areas within the scrape which could be the insides of another broken shell.

8. Tracion 25 Apr 2009 at 7:34 pm

Dorothy or E2 (still not always sure who is who) seem pretty active on their eggs!! I’ve been watching off and on all day and whomever is sitting the eggs keeps shifting around and sometimes moving the eggs. Just now, I think its Dorothy cause she seems big, is apparently cheeping?? or is it panting?? and periodically nosing around in the gravel. She keeps shifting off the eggs but I have not seen a chick.

I’m wondering if she’s hearing them inside the eggs? and is responding? I don’t know since I’ve never seen this before… but it is fascinating to watch!! She or he was NOT this active a few days ago. Is the nice weather a factor in that?

I wonder if we’ll see a chick sometime tomorrow?

9. Kate St. Johnon 25 Apr 2009 at 8:50 pm

Traci, The parents are active because the chicks are starting to break the eggs. I saw a pip in one of the eggs today. It won’t be long now!